We help clients preserve and grow their wealth across the generations, providing advice from experienced private wealth and tax specialists on matters including wills and succession, trusts, philanthropy, family governance and personal tax.
Our private wealth and tax team includes a number of specialist solicitors qualified to practise in Scotland and England & Wales. This means we can provide pragmatic, high quality advice on matters governed by Scots or English law. Our private wealth and tax lawyers support clients throughout the UK and internationally from our offices in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and London.
How our private wealth and tax lawyers can help you
Succession and personal tax planning
Our legal and tax specialists provide bespoke advice on succession and tax planning including advising on wills, trusts, powers of attorney, administration of estates and associated tax compliance obligations.
We take the time to understand our clients’ individual needs and circumstances, with a client roster spanning entrepreneurs, landowners, trustees and foreign nationals. Our high quality service helps them benefit from available tax reliefs and preserve wealth for future generations.
Our team also provides fully comprehensive tax compliance, advisory and accounting services for individuals and trusts.
Working closely with colleagues in the rural property and corporate teams, we provide tax, governance and succession planning advice to families with business and rural interests.
Charities and philanthropy
We advise on philanthropic giving, trusts, and charity law regulation and practice, and provide specialist legal advice for charities and the third sector.
Our practice is international in scope and we frequently provide cross-border assistance to clients with wealth in different jurisdictions, advising in conjunction with other lawyers and tax professionals on the impact of different legal systems and local tax laws. In addition, we work closely with Shepherd and Wedderburn’s specialist immigration team to assist international clients wishing to relocate to the UK or UK clients wishing to move overseas.
Residential property services
We cover all aspects of buying, selling and transferring property in Scotland and are one of only a handful of law firms in Scotland that can provide specialist tax advice alongside our residential conveyancing offering.
Why choose Shepherd and Wedderburn private wealth and tax solicitors?
- We offer comprehensive services for private clients. Ours is a full-service law firm, which means our clients benefit from the expertise of leading practitioners across the broadest range of relevant legal specialisms. We work collaboratively with lawyers across the firm to achieve our clients’ objectives. Reflecting the diversity of our clients, the private wealth and tax team works closely with other areas of the firm, particularly colleagues in the following teams:
- Our team is top ranked in the Legal 500 independent legal directory.
- We provide clear and pragmatic advice in plain English to empower you to make informed decisions.
- As part of the largest Scottish-headquartered UK law firm, we can offer our clients support from legal specialists across the business with relevant expertise, from immigration and residential property to family business.
- We offer a UK-wide, international service to clients from our offices in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen and London, and work with trusted law firms and professional advisers in more than 115 countries through our membership of the World Services Group.
- Our established International Families Group offers a one-stop legal support service for entrepreneurs, professionals, high net worth individuals, investors and their families wishing to move and settle in the UK and, in many cases, become British citizens.
Click here to view information required by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) Transparency Rules and the Law Society of Scotland Price Transparency Guidance in relation to certain Private Wealth and Tax Services.
Sign up to the Private Word newsletter to receive updates, exclusive event invitations and news from the Private Wealth and Tax team
Insights from the private wealth and tax team