Our expert team of lawyers advise across all farming and land management issues, sharing our clients’ passion for rural business development and land and countryside management. We understand where rural land use and business intertwine. Our approach is based on getting to know you and working in partnership, anticipating the challenges you face, now and in the future.
We make it our business to understand our clients’ needs, providing high quality advice to consistently deliver successful outcomes.
We are recognised as market leaders for the diversity of our expertise. Specialising in rural matters means that we maintain technical prowess across a very broad range of legal issues, and take pride in the breadth of our key strengths. Working closely with our tax, planning, health and safety, construction, corporate, litigation and employment specialists, we provide a complete service to our clients.
In addition to the team’s extensive experience in rural property, we are also renowned for our expertise in renewable energy and environmental issues.
Individuals in the our team work alongside members of relevant cross-party policy committees of the Scottish Parliament on Rural Affairs and Renewable Energy, ensuring we keep our clients fully apprised of proposed legislative changes.
We also have specialist expertise in agricultural tenancies and a deep understanding of this highly regulated area of law, with unrivalled experienced in both contentious and non-contentious agricultural tenancy advice. A key strength is our Scottish Land Court Practice, and members of the team regularly appear in the Court representing Landlords and Tenants in a wide variety of disputes.
- Buying and selling all types of property: estates, farms, fields and agricultural buildings; farmhouses, country houses and cottages; and sporting and crofting estates, fishing rights, forests and woodlands.
- Setting up shared farming and contract farming agreements
- Dealing with agricultural, sporting, minerals, commercial and residential tenancies.
- Conducting agricultural tenancy litigations in the Scottish Land Court.
- Acting on behalf of clients in agricultural subsidies appeals in the Scottish Land Court.
- Acting for lenders and borrowers in relation to taking/granting security over rural assets.
- Assisting on other projects on rural land, including holiday lets, caravan sites, outdoor activity centres, cafes and shops, plot sales, telecoms leases and dealing with management agreements.
- Advising on general estate management, subsidy queries, and further countryside-specific issues.
- Dealing with and advising on rights of access, drainage and services, mineral rights and title conditions.
- Acting for landowners on renewable energy projects (including wind, hydro and solar schemes).
- Advising on succession planning, tax reliefs (Agricultural Property Relief and Business Property Relief), and settling up and drafting partnership agreements.
- Dealing with land promotion agreements and property developments.
For more information on how our agricultural and rural property lawyers can help you, please get in touch.