PLENARY BUSINESS

Wednesday 29 June 2005

Time for Reflection: Rev Dr Paul McKeown, Minister of Belhelvie Parish Church,
Aberdeenshire

Stage 1 Debate: Housing (Scotland) Bill

Financial Resolution:
Housing (Scotland) Bill

Ministerial Statement: White Paper on Modernising
the Planning System

Parliamentary Bureau Motions

First Minister’s Motion to
appoint Ministers

Stage 3 Proceedings: Transport (Scotland) Bill

Business Motion

Parliamentary
Bureau Motions

Decision Time

Members’ Business: Debate on the subject of
S2M-2833 Paul Martin: Closure of Clydesdale Bank Branches

 

Thursday 30 June
2005

Parliamentary Bureau Motions

Finance Committee Debate: 2nd Report
2005, Cross-cutting Expenditure Review of Economic Development

Stage 3 Proceedings:
Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill

General Question
Time

First
Minister’s Question Time

Members’ Business: Debate on the
subject of S2M-2987 Fiona Hyslop: Royal Highland and Agricultural Society
of Scotland

Themed Question Time

Health and Community Care

Environment and Rural Development

Parliamentary Bureau Motions

Continuation of Stage 3 Proceedings:
Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill

Parliamentary Bureau Motions

Decision
Time

 

COMMITTEES

The Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill Committee will meet on 27
June 2005
at
10.00am in Committee Room 1 to discuss: 1. Edinburgh Tram (Line One)
Bill
:
The Committee will take evidence on the Bill at Consideration Stage Phase 1
from: Group 12 (Edinburgh and Lothian Badger Group), Promoter’s witnesses:
Andy Coates, Principal Consultant, Environmental Resources Management Ltd;
Karen Raymond, Principal Partner, Environmental Resources Management Ltd; Andrew
J Oldfield, Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald; Objector’s witnesses:
Patricia Alderson, Edinburgh Co-ordinator, Edinburgh and Lothian Badger Group;
Ian Hutchison, Scottish Badgers Development and Education Officer. Group 13
(Scottish Natural Heritage), Promoter’s witnesses: Andy Coates, Principal
Consultant, Environmental Resources Management Ltd; Gary Turner, Divisional
Director, Mott MacDonald; Scott McIntosh, Senior Consultant in Light Rail,
Mott MacDonald; Karen Raymond, Principal Partner, Environmental Resources Management
Ltd. Group 15 (Ocean Terminal Ltd), Promoter’s witnesses: Mark M Bain,
Senior Engineer, Mott MacDonald; Stuart Turnbull, Divisional Director, Jacobs
Babtie; Scott McIntosh, Senior Consultant in Light Rail, Mott MacDonald; Leo
Eyles, Project Director, Associate of Steer Davies Gleave; Archibald B Rintoul,
District Valuer, Scotland South East Valuation Office; Steve Mitchell, Principal
Consultant, Environmental Resources Management (ERM); Objector’s witness:
Terry Smith, Director, Ocean Terminal Ltd. Group 10 (Forth Ports plc), Promoter’s
witnesses: Mark M Bain, Senior Engineer, Mott MacDonald; Stuart Turnbull, Divisional
Director, Jacobs Babtie; Kevin A Murray, Project Manager, tie ltd; Gary Turner,
Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald; Rahul W Bijlani, Lawyer, Bircham Dyson
Bell, Solicitors & Parliamentary Agents; Objector’s witness: Terry
Smith, Director, Forth Ports plc. Group 18 (Royal Yacht Britannia Trust), Promoter’s
witnesses: Mark M Bain, Senior Engineer, Mott MacDonald; Scott McIntosh, Senior
Consultant in Light Rail, Mott MacDonald; Objector’s witness: Terry Smith,
Director, Royal Yacht Britannia Trust. Group 19 (Judith J H Pearson), Promoter’s
witness: Rahul W Bijlani, Lawyer, Bircham Dyson Bell, Solicitors & Parliamentary
Agents; Andrew J Oldfield, Divisional Director, Mott MacDonald; Steve Mitchell,
Principal Consultant, Environmental Resources Management (ERM); Objector’s
witness: Judith J H Pearson. 2. Proposed Amendments to the Bill: The Committee
will consider a paper from the promoter of the Bill. 3. Edinburgh Tram
(Line One) Bill (in private)
: The Committee will consider evidence taken during the
day.
Proposed future business
At future meetings, the Committee will continue
its scrutiny of the detail of the Bill at Consideration Stage.

 

The Justice 1
Committee
will meet on 27 June 2005 at 1.30pm in Committee Room 6 to discuss:
1. Family Law (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will continue its
consideration of a draft Stage 1 report. 2. Work Programme (in private):
The Committee will consider its work programme.
Proposed future business
The
Committee
will not now meet until September 2005.

 

The Audit Committee will meet on
28 June 2005 at 9.30am in Committee Room 6 to discuss:1.
Section 22 Reports (in
private)
: The Committee will consider lines of questioning for the witnesses
at agenda item 5. 2. Declaration of interests: The new member of the Committee
will be invited to make a declaration of any interests. 3. Items
in private
:
The Committee will consider whether to take agenda items 6 and 7 in private. 4.
Audit Scotland Annual Report 2004/05 and Corporate Plan 2005-08
: The
Committee will receive a briefing from the Auditor General for Scotland on
the Audit
Scotland Annual Report 2004/05 and the Corporate Plan 2005-08. 5.
AGS Section 22 Reports
: The Committee will take evidence on
its inquiry into the section 22 reports by the Auditor General for Scotland
entitled: The 2003-04 Audit
of Lews Castle College; The 2003-04 Audit of West Lothian College; The
2003-04 Audit of Inverness Collegefrom: Mrs Sue Pinder, Principal and Chief
Executive
and Dr Tony Kinder, Chair of the Board of Management, West Lothian College;
Mr David R Green, Principal, Lews Castle College; Professor J Little,
Principal and Chief Executive, and Mr Ken Mackie, Chair of the Board
of Management,
Inverness College; Mr Roger McClure, Chief Executive, Brian Baverstock,
Deputy Director,
Governance and Management: Appraisal and Policy, and Riona Bell, Director
of Funding, Scottish Funding Councils for Further & Higher Education; Eddie
Frizzell CB, Head of Enterprise, Transport & Lifelong Learning Department,
and Aileen McKechnie, Head of Further and Adult Education Division, Scottish
Executive. 6. AGS Section 22 Reports: The Committee will consider the evidence
taken at agenda item 5. 7. AGS Report on Bowel Cancer Services:
The Committee will consider a draft report on its inquiry into the report
by the Auditor
General for Scotland entitled “A Review of Bowel Cancer Services: An
early diagnosis” (AGS/2005/2).
Proposed future business
At its first meeting
after recess it is expected that the Committee will consider draft reports
on its inquiry into Bowel Cancer Services and its inquiry into the Section
22 Reports on the 2003-04 Audit of Lews Castle College, the 2003-04 Audit of
West Lothian College and the 2003-04 Audit of Inverness College. The Committee
will also receive a briefing on the AGS report on delayed discharges in Scotland.

 

The Equal Opportunities Committee will meet on 28
June 2005
at 10.00am in
Committee Room 5 to discuss: 1. Gypsy/Travellers - Review of progress: The
Committee
will hear evidence from Johann Lamont MSP, Deputy Minister for Communities. 2.
Disability Inquiry
: The Committee will consider a summary of evidence.
Proposed
future business

The Committee will not meet again until after summer recess.

 

The Finance Committee will meet on 28 June 2005 at 10.00am in Committee
Room 2 to discuss: 1. Declaration of interests: The new member of the Committee
will be invited to declare any relevant interests. 2. Relocation
of Public Sector Jobs
: Following on from its inquiry and report in 2004, the
Committee
will take further evidence on the relocation of public sector jobs
from:
Tavish
Scott MSP, Deputy Minister for Finance and Public Service Reform;
David Robb, Head of Public Bodies Unit, Scottish Executive; and Morris Fraser,
Public Bodies
Unit, Scottish Executive. 3. Scottish Parliament Holyrood
Building
:
The Committee will consider correspondence from the Presiding Officer and
take
evidence from:
Robert Brown MSP, Member, Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body;
Paul Grice, Clerk and Chief Executive; Graham Rennie, Consultant Project Manager,
Holyrood
Project Team; and Dave Ferguson, Holyrood Project Adviser, Scottish
Parliament.
4. Efficient Government: The Committee will consider its findings
from
its site visits on 21 June 2005 and will note correspondence from the Executive
and a paper from the Budget Adviser. 5. Written Agreements
on the Budget Process
:
The Committee will consider the Written Agreements on the Budgeting
Process between the Committee and (i) the Scottish Executive, (ii) the Scottish
Parliamentary Corporate Body and (iii) the Scottish Commission for Public
Audit.
6. Correspondence:
The Committee will consider correspondence received by the Convener.
7. Civil Service Effectiveness (in private): The Committee will consider
its draft submission
to the Public Administration Select Committee’s inquiry into Civil Service
Effectiveness.
Proposed future business
The Committee’s next meeting will
be on 6 September 2005 after the summer recess. It is expected that the Committee
will consider its future work programme and Financial Memoranda. The Committee
will begin taking evidence as part of its inquiry into Deprivation, will scrutinise
the Executive’s Draft Budget 2006-07 and will consider the Financial
Memoranda of other Bills at subsequent meetings.

 

The Public Petitions Committee will meet on 28 June
2005
at 10.00am in Committee Room 1 to discuss:
1. New Petitions: The Committee will consider the following new petitions:
PE869 Removal
of tolls from the Erskine Bridge - Councillor Andrew White will make
a brief statement in support of his petition; PE873 Recognition of Post Polio
Syndrome
and a national review of neurological services - Helene MacLean will
make a brief statement in support of her petition accompanied by Agnes Walker
and
Malcolm McNicol; PE863 Court representation for limited companies
- Bill Alexander will make a brief statement in support of his petition; PE870
Opposing the
ban on smoking in enclosed public places; PE872 Legislative presumption
against rural school closures; PE871 Support for peaceful protest during the
G8 summit;
PE874 To lobby the G8 summit heads of state on the issue of world
poverty. 2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following
current
petitions: PE808 Mental health services for deaf/deafblind - the
Committee will consider responses from the Deputy Minister for Health and Community
Care,
RNID Scotland and the John Denmark Unit; PE783 Establishment of a
National Bird for Scotland - the Committee will consider the progress of this
petition;
PE790 A public inquiry into organ retention - the Committee will
consider responses from the Minister for Health and Community Care, the Crown
Office and Procurator
Fiscal Service and Scottish Cot Death Trust; PE791 Glasgow Homoeopathic
Hospital - the Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Health
and Community
Care, NHS National Services Scotland and National Service Advisory
Group; PE799 COAST’s proposals to close an area of Lamlash Bay to all forms of marine
life extraction - the Committee will consider responses from the Scottish Executive,
Clyde and South West Static Association, Isle of Arran Sea Angling Association,
Scottish Natural Heritage, Clyde Fishermen’s Association and the Scottish
Association for Marine Science; PE802 Regulation of health professionals -
the Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Health and Community
Care and the Health Professions Council; PE804 Common Fisheries Policy - the
Committee will consider responses from the Minister for Environment and Rural
development; PE820 Adequate funding for therapeutic work initiatives - the
Committee will consider responses from the Deputy Minister for Health and Community
Care, the Disability Rights Commission, Capability Scotland and the Scottish
Association for Mental Health.
Proposed future business
At its next meeting
on Wednesday 7 September 2005 it is expected that the Committee will consider
new petitions on the current system for dealing with and monitoring convicted
sexual offenders; safeguards against vulnerable adults being given, by surreptitious
means, unwanted, unnecessary and potentially harmful medication; Roman remains;
coastal erosion; road haulage; and the sequestration recall process. It is
also expected that the Committee will give further consideration to current
petitions on National Parks; GSM(R) Masts; Oxfam’s global campaign for
education; the potential health hazards associated with long-term exposure
to high voltage transmission lines; the terms of UNISON Scotland’s NHS
Food for Good Charter; the implications for rural areas of the introduction
of NHS24 services; education maintenance allowance payments and Trust law.

 

The Standards and Public Appointments Committee will meet on 28
June 2005
at 10.30am in Committee Room 3 to discuss: 1.
Item in private
: The Committee
will consider
whether to take item 2 in private. 2. Replacing the Members’ Interests
Order
: The Committee will consider a draft of its Members’ Interests
Committee Bill.
Proposed future business
The Committee expects to continue its
review of the Code of Conduct for MSPs and its work on replacing the Members’ Interests
Order at subsequent meetings.

 

The Subordinate Legislation Committee will meet
on 28 June 2005 at 10.30am in Committee Room 4 to discuss: 1.
Item in private
: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item 6 in private.
2. Executive
responses
: The Committee will consider responses from the Executive
to points raised on the following: the Products of Animal Origin (Third Country
Imports)
(Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/323); the Cereal
Seed (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/328); the Fodder Plant Seed (Scotland)
Regulations
2005, (SSI 2005/329); the Local Authorities’ Traffic Orders (Procedure)
(Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/338); the Pollution Prevention
and Control (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/340); the
Education (Graduate Endowment, Student Fees and Support) (Scotland) Amendment
Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/341); and the Fire (Additional Function) (Scotland)
Order 2005, (SSI 2005/342). 3. Draft instruments subject
to approval
: The Committee
will consider the following: the Advice and Assistance (Assistance by way of
Representation) (Scotland) Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/draft);
the Housing Grants (Assessment of Contributions) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations
2005, (SSI 2005/draft); and the Mental Health (Definition of Specified Person:
Correspondence) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/draft). 4.
Instruments subject to annulment
: The Committee will consider the following: the Requirements
for Teachers (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/355). 5.
Instruments not laid before the Parliament
: The Committee will consider the following: the
Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 (Commencement No.1) (Scotland)
Order 2005, (SSI 2005/358). 6. Inquiry into the regulatory
framework in Scotland
:
The Committee will further consider an approach paper in relation to phase
2 of its inquiry.
Proposed future business
At its next meeting on 4 September,
it is expected that the Committee will Scottish statutory instruments and other
documents subject to Parliamentary procedure.

 

The Enterprise and Culture Committee will meet on 28
June 2005
at 2.00pm in Committee Room 1 to discuss:
1. Declaration of interests: Shiona Baird MSP will be invited to make a declaration
of interests.
2. Inquiry into business growth: The Committee will take evidence
from: Alan Wilson, Chief Executive, and Iain Duff, Chief Economist, Scottish
Council for
the Development of Industry on international issues; Mary Greene,
Business Development and Research Director, Financial Services Skills Council,
Graeme
Ogilvy, Scottish Manager, CIBT-Construction Skills, and Kieron Gavan,
Director of Employer Engagement, Sector Skills Development Agency on people
and skills
issues; Stephen Boyle, Director, Futureskills Scotland on people
and skills issues. 3. Inquiry into business growth - taking stock: The committee
will
consider (a) a paper by its adviser, Dr Wolfgang Michalski, (b) issues
emerging from the inquiry to date and (c) the forward work programme for the
inquiry.
Proposed
future business

At its next meeting on 6 September 2005, it is expected
that the Committee will take evidence at Stage 1 of the St Andrew’s Day Bank
Holiday (Scotland) Bill.

 

The Environment and Rural Development Committee will
meet on 28 June 2005 at 2.00pm in Committee Room 2 to discuss: 1.
Item in private
: The Committee will consider whether to take item 5 in private.
2. Inquiry into
rural development
: The Committee will take evidence from: Ross Finnie
MSP, Minister for Environment and Rural Development; Malcolm Chisholm MSP,
Minister
for Communities; and Allan Wilson MSP, Deputy Minister for Enterprise
and Lifelong Learning. 3. European issues: The Committee will take evidence
on the Scottish
Executive’s priorities for the environment and rural development portfolio
for the forthcoming UK Presidency of the EU from Ross Finnie MSP, Minister
for Environment and Rural Development. 4. Subordinate legislation: The Committee
will consider the following negative instruments: the Air Quality Limit Values
(Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/300); the Loch Crinan Scallops
Several Fishery Order 2005, (SSI 2005/304); the Nitrate (Public Participation
etc.) (Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/305); the Wildlife and Countryside
Act 1981 (Variation of Schedule) (Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/308); the
Genetically Modified Organisms (Transboundary Movements) (Scotland) Regulations
2005, (SSI 2005/316); the Financial Assistance for Environmental Purposes (Scotland)
Order 2005, (SSI 2005/324); the Prevention and Monitoring of Cetacean Bycatch
(Scotland) Order 2005, (SSI 2005/330); the Plant Protection Products (Scotland)
Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/331); and the Eggs (Marketing Standards) (Enforcement)
(Scotland) Regulations 2005, (SSI 2005/332). 5. Environmental
Levy on Plastic Bags (Scotland) Bill
: The Committee will consider its approach to the Bill
at Stage 1.
Proposed future business
The Committee’s next scheduled meeting
will take place after the recess on 7 September 2005 and it is expected that
the Committee will consider the evidence taken for its inquiry into rural development.
At future meetings the Committee expects to consider amendments at Stage 2
of the Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Bill and to commence its scrutiny
of the Environmental Levy on Plastic Bags (Scotland) Bill at Stage 1.

 

The Edinburgh
Tram (Line Two) Bill Committee
will meet on 28 June
2005
at 2.00pm
in Committee Room 4 to discuss: 1. Proposed route changes: The Committee will
consider a
paper by the clerk. 2. Consideration Stage: The Committee will take
evidence on the Bill at Consideration Stage from: Group 9: Scottish Rugby Union,
Promoter’s
witnesses: Gavin Murray, Project Manager, Edinburgh Tram Line Two; Aileen Grant,
Principal Planner, City Development Department, The City of Edinburgh Council;
Jim Harries, Project Engineer, Transdev; Objector’s witnesses:
Graham Ireland, Finance Director, SRU; Mark Fisher, Director, CarlBro.
Proposed
future
business

At future meetings, the Committee will continue its scrutiny
of the detail of the Bill at Consideration Stage.

 

The Waverley Railway
(Scotland) Bill
Committee
will meet on 29 June 2005 at 12.45pm in Committee Room
2 to discuss: 1. Draft Preliminary Stage report (in private): The
Committee
will consider
a draft Preliminary Stage report.
Proposed future business
At future
meetings, the Committee will continue its consideration of the
Bill at Preliminary
Stage.

 

 

BILL TRACKER

Abolition of NHS Prescription Charges (Scotland) Bill (M) Stage
1 (lead committee (Health)) 21 June

Baird Trust Reorganisation Bill (P) Passed 15 June

Charities
and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Bill (Ex)
Passed 9 June

Council Tax Abolition
and Service Tax Introduction (Scotland) Bill (M)
Stage 1 (lead committee
(Local Government & Transport)) 25 January

Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill
(P)
Consideration Stage (Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill Committee)
27 June

Edinburgh
Tram (Line
Two) Bill (P)
Consideration Stage (Edinburgh Tram (Line
Two) Bill Committee) 28 June

Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Bill (Ex) Stage 1 completed
16 June
[em]Stage 2 amendments may now be lodged with the Clerks to the Environment
and Rural Development Committee [/em]

Environmental Levy on Plastic Bags (Scotland) Bill (M) Introduced
17 June

Family
Law (Scotland)
Bill (Ex)
Stage 1 (lead committee (Justice 1)) 27 June

Housing
(Scotland) Bill (Ex)
Stage 1 (debate, meeting of the Parliament)
29 June
[em]Stage 1 Report – Communities Committee (7th Report, 2005) [/em]

Human Tissue (Scotland) Bill
(Ex)
Stage 1 (lead committee (Health)) 21 June

Licensing (Scotland) Bill
(Ex)
Stage 1 completed 22 June
[em]Stage 2 amendments may now be lodged
with the Clerks to the Local Government and Transport Committee [/em]

Management of Offenders
etc. (Scotland)
Bill
(Ex)
Stage 1 completed 16 June
[em]Stage 2 amendments
may now be lodged with the Clerks to the Justice 2 Committee [/em]

Prohibition of Female Genital
Mutilation
(Scotland)
Bill (Ex)
Passed 26 May

Prohibition of Smoking in Regulated
Areas (Scotland)
Bill (M)
Stage 1 Report (Health Committee) published
11 January

Prostitution Tolerance Zones (Scotland) Bill (M) Stage 1 (lead committee
(Local Government & Transport))
12 April

Protection of Children and Prevention of Sexual Offences
(Scotland) Bill (Ex)
Passed 2 June

Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland)
Bill (Ex)
Stage 3 (debate, meeting of the Parliament) 30 June

St Andrew’s
Day Bank Holiday (Scotland) Bill (M)
Stage
1 (lead committee (Enterprise and Culture)) 14 June

Transport (Scotland) Bill (Ex) Stage 3 (debate, meeting of
the Parliament) 29 June

Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill (P) Preliminary Stage (Waverley
Railway (Scotland) Bill Committee) 29 June

 

OTHER EVENTS

The Scottish Parliament will be on summer recess from 2 July to 4 September
2005.

The Cross-Party Group on M.E. will meet on Wednesday 29 June at 1.00pm in
Committee Room 4

The G8 Annual Summit will be held on 6-8 July at the Gleneagles
Hotel, Perthshire

Back to Search