Sam is an experienced banking lawyer. He advises financial institutions, developers, investors and listed corporates on real estate finance transactions in the UK and Europe. His work covers investment and development financings, across all asset types and all tiers of debt, often with a structured finance aspect. He has extensive experience in relation to the hotel, student accommodation, office, industrial, retail and residential asset classes, and regularly works on complicated mixed-use and/or cross-border transactions.
His other areas of expertise include acquisition finance, loan-on-loan work, insurance-related finance and general corporate lending. Prior to joining Shepherd and Wedderburn, he worked for Magic Circle and leading City law firms in London, Australia and China. He is noted as being a “great professional” and “very technical” in The Legal 500.
He is admitted in England and Wales.
- Acted for a private bank on the £120m financing of a residential development project in west London.*
- Acted for a UK bank on the financing of residential development and care home projects around the UK in aggregate debt value of £150m.*
- Acted on various loan-on-loan and intercreditor arrangements between a UK bank and an alternative lender in aggregate debt value of £200m.*
- Acted for a UK bank on the £30m financing of a London hotel and the £35m financing of student accommodation in Hampshire.*
- Acted for a leading London property developer on the £135m financing for the development of a new commercial, retail and residential estate in east London and the £43m senior and mezzanine financing for a high-end residential development in north London.*
- Acted for an Asian property developer on the £110m financing for the redevelopment of a mixed use office, residential and retail site in central London.*
- Acted for a large asset management company on the £80m senior and mezzanine refinancing of a portfolio of London office properties and regional industrial estates.*
- Acted for a luxury hotel group on its group restructuring and the associated refinancing by way of a £180m loan facility.*
- Acted for an Asian property investment company in relation to the £25m refinancing of a portfolio of industrial estates located throughout the UK.*
*Instructions undertaken prior to joining Shepherd and Wedderburn.