Shepherd and Wedderburn licensing lawyers- team overview
Our highly experienced licensing lawyers are independently recognised for their breadth of expertise in contractual and contentious matters relating to alcohol, gambling, civic government and taxi licensing, and are highly regarded by our clients, who include many household names in hospitality, retail, education, transport, and leisure, as well as sports clubs, sole trader businesses, individuals and community organisations. Clients include hotels, restaurants, garden centres, convenience stores, landlords, petrol filling stations and taxi operators.
Our licensing team, headed up by Partner and solicitor-advocate Kevin Clancy, collaborate with clients and work with Licensing Boards across Scotland in order to achieve a successful outcome. The team has particular expertise in contentious licensing matters, representing clients at hearings for new applications, major and minor variation hearings, review hearings, personal licence hearings, appeals to the Sheriff Court and judicial reviews.
How can we help?
- We advise and represent clients on:
- premises licence applications, variations to existing licences, transfers of existing licenses, licensing board hearings and review hearings;
- personal licence applications, and representation before the licensing board where an individual has a criminal conviction and a hearing is required;
- booking office, driver, or vehicle licences for the operation of a taxi or private car hire business;
- civil appeals where a licence is refused, suspended, or revoked, and there is to be an appeal to the Sheriff Court;
- judicial reviews;
- criminal prosecutions arising from various legislative offences; and
- health and safety advice in relation to the premises