Shepherd and Wedderburn is committed to diversity and equality of opportunity.
We are a living wage employer, and all our line managers complete training on unconscious bias and how to minimise the impact of unconscious bias on a range of management activities.
Furthermore, through our S+W Together groups, we undertake a wide range of activities aimed at fostering diversity, inclusivity and social mobility both externally and within the firm – a selection of which you can read about below. We also work with a number of other organisations to support and promote our diversity and inclusion initiatives, please follow the link to our Equality and Diversity Policy.
We are committed to equality of opportunity regardless of background, and support a range of initiatives aimed at improving access to the profession.
- We work with Aspiring Solicitors – the leading diversity platform for law careers advice – and are the first Scottish firm to secure this form of relationship.
- We are a founding firm for the Prime Initiative in Scotland, and continue to expand our work with Prime to promote social mobility into the profession.
- We offer diploma funding and maintenance allowances for incoming trainees to provide financial assistance and promote social mobility within the profession.
Healthy Working Lives
We do everything we can to foster a healthy working environment. Our achievements include the following:
- achieving the Healthy Working Lives Gold award;
- signing up to the Time to Change Pledge to support employees suffering from a range of mental health issues;
- having a Mental Health First Aider in each office and rolled out a webinar to all partners on Managing Mental Health in the Workplace; and
- running a range of internal initiatives, including yoga sessions, mindfulness training, staff health checks, free flu jabs, access to an AXA counselling hotline and providing fresh fruit.
Disability and Equal Opportunities
We treat all colleagues equally, regardless of disability or background. To the end, we have:
- retained the Disability Confident Employer badge in recognition of our work with disabled prospective and current employees; and
- continue our work as an equal opportunities employer. We are positive about disabled people and, as a Disability Confident Employer, we guarantee an interview to any disabled applicant who meets the minimum criteria for any vacancy. To access our current vacancies and the guaranteed interview form click here.
We celebrate diversity within the organisation, and work to foster an environment of inclusivity within the firm. Recently, we have:
- launched a reverse mentoring pilot with members of the LGBT Group to mentor Board members;
- become a Stonewall Diversity Champion (we are the only Scottish-headquartered law firm to be ranked in the inaugural list of the top 25 legal employers for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender staff); and
- delivered a presentation to a LGBT Youth group on diversity and inclusion in professional services, aiming to reduce the perceived barriers that young LGBT people may have.
Shepherd and Wedderburn believes all colleagues should receive equal treatment and opportunity, irrespective of gender. To promote gender equality, we have:
- introduced a successful mentoring programme for Senior Associate staff to be mentored by Partners and senior management in the firm (to be extended to all Associates in 2019);
- launched employee and management guides on maternity leave and shared parental leave;
- introduced a peer group forum for pregnant employees and those who have returned from maternity leave; and
- introduced maternity and shared parental leave guidelines for managers and staff.
Race, Faith & Belief
We want to make sure that there is a place for you at this firm, no matter your race, faith or belief. This is supported by events and initiatives that take place throughout the year.
- Working with the Prince’s Trust Mosaic charity group, we have hosted an annual ‘World of Work Day’, inviting Glasgow-based schools into our office to complete a number of workshop sessions that provide an insight into careers in the law and management services.
- We launched a programme of quarterly events across all our offices that celebrate religious festivals around the world, a recent example being the Jewish festival of Purim.
Meet our diversity champions
Click on the links below to find out more about our designated diversity champions:
Our work in promoting equality and diversity in the workplace continues, and we look forward to sharing future achievements in this area with you.