PLENARY BUSINESS

Wednesday 8 June 2005

Time for Reflection: Rev Ronnie Johnstone, Minister of
Thurso West Church of Scotland

Parliamentary Bureau Motions

Executive Debate:
G8

Business Motion

Parliamentary Bureau Motions

Decision Time

Members’ Business:
Debate on the subject of S2M-2 647 Rob Gibson: Norway’s Centenary Celebrations

 

Thursday 9 June 2005

Parliamentary Bureau Motions

The Clerk has been advised
of the topic of the following Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party
Business

Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party Debate: Health Issues with
specific
reference to the Kerr Report

General Question Time

First Minister’s Question
Time

Themed Question Time

Environment and Rural Development

Health and Community
Care

Parliamentary Bureau Motions

Stage 3 Proceedings: Charities and
Trustee Investment (Scotland) Bill

Parliamentary Bureau Motions

Decision
Time

Members’ Business:
Debate on the subject of S2M-2852 Alex Fergusson: A Cure for ME?

 

COMMITTEES

The Public Petitions Committee will meet on 6 June
2005
at 10.30am in Council
Buildings, Wellington Square, Ayr to discuss: 1. New Petitions: The Committee
will consider the following new petitions: PE859 Petition by Sheena Borthwick
calling for the upgrade of the Southern Section of the A77 between Ayr and
Stranraer including providing passing places every six miles and developing
a bypass at Maybole. Sheena Borthwick, Managing Director, West FM, West Sound
and South West Sound FM, will make a brief statement in support of her petition
accompanied by Alan Gordon, Director, Stena Line. PE860 Petition by Marilyn
de Blieck, on behalf of Ayrshire Voices, calling for a national policy in relation
to the teaching of singing and provision of vocal tuition for young people
in Scotland. Marilyn de Blieck will make a brief statement in support of her
petition accompanied by Lauren Redmond. PE861 Petition by Bob Leitch, on behalf
of the Board of Directors of Ayrshire Chamber of Commerce calling for the creation
of a task force to integrate and develop Burns’ properties resulting
in a National Burns Heritage Trail. Bob Leitch, Chief Executive, Ayrshire Chamber
of Commerce will make a brief statement in support of his petition accompanied
by Jim Kerr. PE839 Petition by Councillor Peter John Convery calling for clear
guidance for local authorities on the use of moratorium to exclude telecommunication
masts from being situated on council land. Councillor Convery will make a brief
statement in support of his petition accompanied by Councillor Alistair Kerr.
2. Current Petitions: The Committee will further consider the following current
petitions: PE824 To review the Scottish Executive’s culture and tourism
policies regarding Robert Burns and to ensure the restoration and development
of assets of the Burns heritage for the Homecoming Year in 2009. The Committee
will consider responses from Sandra Osborne MP; National Trust for Scotland;
South Ayrshire Council; Burns National Heritage Park and VisitScotland. PE771,
PE813 & PE821. Review of guidance to local authorities and planning procedures
to safeguard the provision of playing fields and recreational open space. The
Committee will consider a response from the Scottish Executive.

Proposed future
business

At its next meeting on 22 June, it is expected that the Committee
will consider new petitions concerning protection of ancient woodland;
services for children with special needs; maintenance of roads, pavements and
footpaths;
NUTS 11 boundaries; rural school closures; and sports clubs – right
to buy. The Committee is also expected to give further consideration to current
petitions concerning criminal memoirs; the siting of detox units; portable
oxygen; sewage sludge; Post Office closures; wheelchair provision; and the
treason law.

 

The Equal Opportunities Committee will meet on 7
June 2005
at 10.15am
in Committee Room 1 to discuss: 1. Disability inquiry (in private): The
Committee will consider an approach paper. 2. Gypsy/Travellers – Review of progress:
The Committee will hear evidence from: Panel 1: Karen Carrick and Michelle
Lloyd, Save the Children Scotland; and Panel 2: Sandra Bruce and Bill Shanks,
Aberdeen City Council; David Cooper, Aberdeenshire Council; Ron Ashton, Association
of Local Authority Chief Housing Officers (ALACHO).
Proposed future business
At
its next meeting on 21 June, it is expected that the Committee will continue
to take oral evidence on Gypsy/Travellers - Review of progress. The Committee
will also continue its inquiry into disability.

 

The Subordinate Legislation
Committee
will meet on 7 June 2005 at 10.30am in Committee Room 3 to
discuss: 1. Item in private: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda
item
5 in private. 2. Delegated powers scrutiny: The Committee will consider
the delegated powers provisions in the following bill: Charities and Trustee
Investment
(Scotland) Bill as amended at Stage 2. 3. Executive responses: The Committee
will consider responses from the Executive to points raised on the following:
the Dentists Act 1984 (Amendment) Order 2005 (SSI 2005/draft); and the
Right to Purchase (Prescribed Persons) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2005 (SSI
2005/275).
4. Instruments subject to annulment: The Committee will consider the
following: the Contaminants in Food (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI
2005/277);
the Animals and Animal Products (Import and Export) (Scotland) Amendment
Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/278); the Seed Potatoes (Fees) (Scotland) Regulations
2005 (SSI
2005/279); the Seed Potatoes (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI
2005/280); the Pesticides (Maximum Residue Levels in Crops, Food and Feeding
Stuffs) (Scotland)
Amendment (No.2) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/281); the Registration of
Fish Sellers and Buyers and Designation of Auction Sites (Scotland) Regulations
2005 (SSI 2005/286); the Local Government Pension Scheme (Scotland) Amendment
Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/293); the Food (Chilli, Chilli Products, Curcuma
and Palm Oil) (Emergency Control) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/294);
and the Road Traffic (Temporary Restrictions) Procedure Amendment (Scotland)
Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/299). 5. Inquiry into the regulatory
framework in Scotland
: The Committee will consider a draft phase 1 report.
Proposed
future business

At its next meeting on 14 June, it is expected that the Committee
will
further consider a draft report on its inquiry into the regulatory framework
in Scotland.

 

The Standards and Public Appointments Committee will meet
on 7 June 2005 at 11.00am in Committee Room 5 to discuss: 1.
Items in private
:
The
Committee will consider whether to take items 4 and 5 in private.
2. Complaint against Jack McConnell MSP: The Committee will announce its decision
at Stage
3 on a report from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.
3. Complaint against Kenneth Macintosh MSP: The Committee will announce
its
decision at
Stage 3 on a report from the Scottish Parliamentary Standards Commissioner.
4. Complaint against Jack McConnell MSP: The Committee will consider
its draft report. 5. Complaint against Kenneth Macintosh MSP: The Committee
will consider
its draft report.
Proposed future business
The Committee expects to
continue its review of the Code of Conduct for MSPs and its work on replacing
the Members’ Interests
Order at subsequent meetings.

 

The European and External Relations Committee will meet on 7
June 2005
at 2.00pm in Committee Room 6 to discuss:
1. Inquiry into the Scottish Executive’s Fresh Talent Initiative: The Committee
will take evidence from: As a panel: Stephen Boyd, Assistant Secretary,
Scottish Trades Union Congress; Dave Moxham, Assistant Secretary, Scottish
Trades Union
Congress; Followed by: Robina Qureshi, Director, Positive Action in Housing;
David Reilly, Positive Action in Housing. 2. Pre- and post-EU
Council scrutiny
: The Committee will discuss the agendas and information received from
the Scottish
Executive on the following meetings of the Council of the EU: Forthcoming
Councils: General Affairs and External Relations Council, 13-14 June; Agriculture
and
Fisheries, 20-21 June; Environment Council, 24 June; Transport, Telecommunications
and Energy Council, 27-28 June; and Previous Councils: Agriculture and
Fisheries Council, 26 April. 3. Sift of EC/EU documents and draft
legislation
:
The Committee
will consider the latest list of EC/EU documents and draft legislative
proposals received for this meeting. 4. Convener’s Report: The Convener
will update the Committee on the Letter from the Scottish Executive regarding
the Committee’s
invitation to the First Minister to give evidence in its inquiry into
the Fresh Talent initiative; and the Letter from Alyn Smith MEP regarding the
future
financing of the European Union budget 2007-2013
Proposed
future business

On
21 June, the Committee hopes to continue to take oral evidence in its
Inquiry into the Scottish Executive’s Fresh Talent Initiative. The Committee
also expects to consider a response from the Scottish Executive on the
Committee’s
report on its Inquiry into Scotland’s Preparations for and Contribution
to the G8 Summit and the UK Presidency of the EU 2005 and to consider
a Sewel Memorandum on the UK Government’s European Union Bill.

 

The Health Committee will meet on 7 June 2005 at 2.00pm in Committee
Room 4 to discuss: 1. Item
in private
: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda item
6 in private. 2. Subordinate legislation: The Committee will consider the
following negative
instruments: the Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland (Appointment
of Medical Commissioners) Regulations 2005 (SSI 2005/261); and the
Mental Health (Conflict
of Interest) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 (SSI/2005/262). 3.
Subordinate legislation
: Rhona Brankin MSP, Deputy Minister for Health and Community
Care, to move motion
S2M-2874 That the Health Committee recommends that the draft Mental
Health (Safeguards for Certain Informal Patients) (Scotland) Regulations 2005
be approved. 4. Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland)
Bill
:
The
Committee will consider
the Bill at Stage 2 (Day 4). 5. Dentists Act 1984 (Amendment)
Order 2005
: The Committee will consider its approach to its consideration of the
affirmative
instrument. 6. Proposed Human Tissue (Scotland) Bill: The Committee
will consider a provisional approach to evidence gathering.
Proposed
future business

At its
next meeting on 14 June, the Committee will conclude consideration
of the Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill at Stage 2. Specifically,
the Committee
will complete Part 1, considering sections 1 to 6 on the prohibition
of smoking in enclosed places. The Committee will also consider Part
6, section 37 on
commencement. The deadline for submission of amendments for this
meeting
is noon on Thursday 9 June.

 

The Local Government and Transport Committee will
meet on 7 June 2005 at 2.00pm in Committee Room 5 to discuss: 1.
Accounts Commission
: Overview of the local authority audits 2004: The Committee
will take evidence
from: Alastair MacNish, Chairman, Accounts Commission; Bill Magee,
Secretary,
Accounts Commission; David Pia, Director of Performance Audit (Local
Government), Accounts Commission; Caroline Gardner, Deputy Auditor General
and Controller
of Audit, Audit Scotland; and Gordon Smail, Senior Manager, Audit Scotland.
2. Licensing (Scotland) Bill (in private): The Committee will consider
a draft Stage 1 report.
Proposed future business
At its next meeting on
21 June, it is
expected that the Committee will consider petitions. The Committee expects
to begin taking evidence on the Council Tax Abolition and Service Tax
Introduction (Scotland) Bill at subsequent meetings.

 

The Education Committee will meet on
8 June 2005 at 9.45am in Committee Room 2 to discuss: 1.
Pupil Motivation inquiry
: The Committee will take evidence from: Panel 1: Christina
Allon, Director,
Careers Scotland; Eileen Carmichael, Development Officer, Learning
and Teaching Scotland; Diane Alexander, Head of Pre School and Primary, Learning
and Teaching
Scotland; Panel 2: Bill Maxwell, HM Chief Inspector, HMIe; and Panel
3: Peter Peacock, Minister for Education and Young People. 2.
Pupil Motivation
inquiry
:
The Committee will consider the issues raised in today’s evidence.
3. Draft report on the Additional Support for Learning draft
Code of Practice
: The Committee will consider a draft report on the Additional
Support for
Learning
draft Code of Practice. 4. Finance and budget adviser: The Committee
will consider whether to discuss the appointment of a finance and
budget
adviser
in private
at its next meeting.
Proposed future business
At its next meeting the
Committee will consider the appointment of a finance and budget adviser.
At its
meeting of 22 June, it is planned to consider the issues to be included
in its
draft report on the Pupil Motivation inquiry. The report will be
published in the
autumn. The Committee is conducting an inquiry into early years education
and childcare and will take evidence in the autumn.

 

The Justice 1
Committee
will
meet on 8 June 2005 at 9.45am in Committee Room 6 to discuss: 1.
Item in private
: The Committee will consider whether to take agenda
item 3
and
consideration
of its draft Stage 1 report at future meetings in private. 2.
Family Law (Scotland) Bill
: The Committee will take evidence at Stage
1 from: Hugh
Henry MSP, Deputy
Minister for Justice; Carol Duncan, Bill Team Leader, Scottish
Executive; Kirsty Finlay, Legal and Parliamentary Services, Scottish Executive;
and Louise Miller,
EU Justice and Home Affairs, Scottish Executive. 3. Family
Law (Scotland)
Bill
: The Committee will consider the possible contents of its
Stage 1 report.
Proposed
future business

At its next meeting on 15 June, and subsequent meetings
it is expected that the Committee will continue its consideration
of the Family Law
(Scotland) Bill.

 

The Environment and Rural Development Committee will meet on 8
June 2005
at 10.00am in Committee Room 1 to discuss:
1. Inquiry
into
rural development
: The Committee will take evidence from: James
Knowles, Head of
Economic Development, Aberdeenshire Council; Tony Fitzpatrick,
Group Manager for Economic Regeneration, Dumfries and Galloway
Council;
Norma Graham,
Fife Rural Partnership; Councillor Ian Ross, Chair of Sustainable
Development Select
Committee and Area Transport, Environmental and Community Service
Committee, Highland Council; Councillor Alan Livingstone, Convener,
Enterprise and
Infrastructure Committee, Perth and Kinross Council; Ian Lindley,
Director of Planning and
Economic Development, Scottish Borders Council; Nick Larkin,
Head of Enterprise and Development, South Ayrshire Council; Gordon
Todd,
Economic
Development
Manager, South Lanarkshire Council; and Ian Fraser, Head of Economic
Development, Stirling Council. 2. Subordinate legislation: The
Committee will consider
the following negative instrument: the Common Agricultural Policy
Single Farm Payment
and Support Schemes (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2005 (SSI
2005/257).
Proposed future business
At its next meeting on 13 June,
the Committee will
meet in Brechin and will continue taking evidence at Phase 2
of its inquiry
into rural development.
The Committee expects to continue taking evidence for this inquiry
at its subsequent meetings on 22 and 28 June.

 

 

BILL TRACKER

Abolition of NHS Prescription Charges (Scotland) Bill (M): Stage 1 (lead committee
(Health)) 1 February 2005

Baird Trust Reorganisation Bill (P): Preliminary Stage
completed 2 June 2005
[em]Amendments should be lodged by 4.30 pm on Friday 10
June with the Clerks to the Baird Trust Reorganisation Bill Committee[/em]

Charities
and Trustee Investment (Scotland) Bill (Ex)
: Stage 3 (debate,
meeting of the
Parliament) 9 June 200

Council Tax Abolition and
Service
Tax Introduction (Scotland) Bill (M)
: Stage 1 (lead committee (Local
Government and Transport)) 25 January 2005

Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill (P):
Consideration
Stage (Edinburgh Tram (Line One) Bill Committee) 17 May 2005

Edinburgh
Tram (Line Two) Bill (P)
: Consideration Stage (Edinburgh Tram (Line Two)
Bill Committee) 18 May 2005

Environmental Assessment (Scotland) Bill (Ex):
Stage 1 Report (Environment
and Rural Development Committee) to be published 7 June

Family Law
(Scotland) Bill (Ex)
: Stage 1 (lead committee (Justice 1)) 8 June 2005

Further
and
Higher
Education (Scotland) Bill (Ex)
: Royal Assent 1 June 2005

Gaelic
Language (Scotland) Bill (Ex)
: Royal Assent 1 June 2005

Housing (Scotland)
Bill (Ex)
:
Stage 1
(lead committee (Communities)) 8 June 2005

Licensing (Scotland)
Bill (Ex)
: Stage 1
(lead committee (Local Government and Transport)) 7 June
2005

Management of Offenders etc. (Scotland) Bill (Ex): Stage 1 Report (Justice
2 Committee) to be published 8 June 2005

Prohibition of Female Genital
Mutilation (Scotland) Bill (Ex)
: Passed 26 May 2005

Prohibition of Smoking
in Regulated Areas
(Scotland)
Bill (M)
: Stage 1 Report (Health Committee) published
11
January
2005

Prostitution Tolerance Zones (Scotland) Bill (M): Stage
1 (lead committee (Local
Government and Transport)) 12 April 2005

Protection of Children
and Prevention
of
Sexual
Offences (Scotland) Bill (Ex)
: Passed 2 June 2005

Smoking,
Health and Social Care (Scotland) Bill (Ex)
: Stage 2 (Day 4) (Health
Committee) 7
June
2005

St
Andrew’s Day Bank Holiday (Scotland) Bill (M)
: Introduced 19 May
2005

Transport (Scotland) Bill (Ex): Stage 2 completed 10 May 2005
S[em]tage
3 amendments may now
be lodged with the Clerks to the Local Government
and Transport Committee[/em]

Waverley Railway (Scotland) Bill (P): Preliminary Stage
(Waverley Railway
(Scotland)
Bill Committee) 1 June 2005

 

OTHER EVENTS

On Monday 6 June, the Scottish Parliament will welcome more than eighty G8,
African and European parliamentarians and policy-makers to discuss the development
challenges facing Africa. The G8 International Parliamentarians' Conference
on Development in Africa 2005 will allow delegates to discuss issues such as
HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health issues and the empowerment of women.
The conference delegates will draw up a list of recommendations to go to G8
leaders at next month's summit in Gleneagles.

The Cross-Party Group on Survivors
of Childhood Sexual Abuse will meet on Wednesday 8 June at 12.30pm in room
TG20/21.

The Cross-Party Group on Palliative Care will meet on Wednesday 8
June at 5.45pm in committee room 4.

The Cross-Party International Development
Group
of the Scottish Parliament (IDG) will meet on Thursday 9 June at 5.00pm
in committee room 3.

A Holyrood conference entitled 'The College of the Future:
Promoting Enterprise, Employability and Economic Growth' is being held
on
9 and 10 June at Cardrona Hotel, Peebles.

Back to Search