Highlights of the week in committee include:
- REACH chemicals proposals - adoption 1st reading - Environment Committee;
- Services Directive - adoption 1st reading - Internal Market Committee;
- Waste shipments Directive - 2nd reading - Environment Committee;
- Batteries Directive - 2nd reading - Environment Committee;
- UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw to Foreign Affairs Committee.
Discussions led by UK MEPs:
- Andrew Duff (Lib Dem, Eastern) will present his draft report on the 'period
of reflection' on the EU Constitution;
- Catherine Stihler (Labour, Scotland) leads discussion of reports on Common
Fisheries Policy, including Shetland Box;
- Michael Cashman (Labour, West Midlands) report on access to EU institution
The European Parliament next sits in plenary on 12 - 13 October 2005.
Negotiation talks with Turkey over membership of the EU are scheduled to open
on Monday. Foreign ministers will also deal with other issues at their meeting
on Monday in Luxembourg including EU-Russia relations, Iran, the Middle-East
London will also inform the meeting of its intentions for the EU budget.
On Wednesday, the European Commission will have its weekly meeting. There
will be several communications on the agenda including one from industry commissioner
Gunter Verheugen on industry policy, one from justice commissioner Franco Frattini
on personal data regarding police co-operation in penal matters and one by
external relations commissioner Benita Ferrero-Waldner on EU-Palestine co-operation.