Our team understands how stressful it can be to navigate all of the bureaucratic procedures surrounding foreign adoptions.  We will work alongside you to ensure that you follow all of the correct legal procedures are followed when you adopt a step-child in the UK, or adopt a child from outside the UK.

Pre-adoption immigration and nationality planning

Proper immigration planning is vital to ensuring the immigration and nationality status of your child. If the child is overseas and not currently British, you will need to obtain the correct immigration permission for the child to enter the UK for the purposes of adoption. Our team of immigration experts can advise you on all of the visa requirements before you embark on your journey. This type of strategic planning is key to avoiding stress further down the line. Before engaging with us however, we strongly recommend that you engage with your local authority council about the adoption process.

Foreign adoptions in the Scottish courts

Our team has experience working with adoptions of children from around the globe, including Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Palestine, South Africa, Kenya, and the USA. These types of adoption normally require the child to have entered the UK on a specific visa for the purposes of adoption.

Foreign step-child adoptions by British citizens

If a step-child is already in the UK and holds a different type of visa, such as a dependant visa, adopting the child through a UK court could confer British citizenship on the child. This would eliminate the need for future visa applications and secure the child’s nationality status. Our team has extensive experience in foreign step-child adoptions in Scotland.

Registering an adopted child as British

Children adopted abroad are unlikely to automatically be British. This means that when you decide to relocate to the UK, you will need to secure either a visa or British citizenship for the child. 
If you are British and have already adopted a non-British child abroad, you can apply to register the child as a British citizen at the discretion of the Home Secretary. Registering a child as a British citizen is a necessary step towards securing a British passport for the child. This type of application is evidence-heavy and requires attention to detail. We have made a number of successful applications of this type and can offer you assistance through this process from start to finish. 

  • Jacqueline Moore has been assisting with my Immigration case since 2014, she has a keen eye for detail, and has gone far beyond ordinary my expectation many times to assure my applications were successful. She gave timely expertise to a difficult aspect of my immigration history in reference to my ILR application. Her input was invaluable and I can’t say what a relief it was to know that my application was in such safe hands. I have now received my stay and will certainly be recommending the team at Shepherd and Wedderburn.

    A Mitchell, March 2020

  • I would like to thank Ms. Jacqueline Moore & all the team at Shepherd & Wedderburn. Very professional, very knowledgeable, highly recommended.

    S Russell, August 2020

  • I'd like to thanks Jacqueline and her team for her immense help during my application process. It's been an uncertain time with the pandemic and I won't be able to deal with the stress coming with the visa applications without the team's professionalism and efficiency. The communication was easy, and the team always keeps me well informed of new developments. They go above and beyond to suggest the most cost effective and least complicated method for my visa extension. I can't be more grateful for their help - especially during the stressful time.

    D Cheuk, March 2020

  • I have received a fantastic service from Shepherd and Wedderburn’s Immigration Department. Jacqueline has been dealing with my immigration matters for the last 20 years ago till now. She and her immigration team help me step-by-step and support me all the way in dealing with the Home Office. Thank you Jacqueline and her Immigration Team!

    J Hui, February 2021



    Jacqueline Moore has been handling our immigration matters for the past 7 years and we would not trust anyone else with this. She has helped guide us through quite a challenging ILR application due to COVID-related circumstances making the application trickier. We received excellent advice from Jacqueline and she, along with her team, went above and beyond to help overcome the hurdles we faced.

    Jacqueline and her team are incredibly invested in their work and they make you feel well supported through the whole immigration process. We could not recommend Jacqueline more highly and are so thankful for the help and attention to detail she and her team have provided during a very stressful process!

    Alasdair Henry & Gloria Nava May 2021

  • When we needed legal services under the most trying of times, you and your firm came through for us with relief that was much needed. 

    R Partain, February 2021


  • After my successful application for indefinite leave to remain, which was handled by Shepherd and Wedderburn, I decided to do my naturalisation application with the firm as well. The whole experience has been a very positive one; the team are very helpful and professional, and they make sure they address any queries in a timely manner. The process was explained to me clearly, and I was made aware of the timeline of different steps. My naturalisation application was also a successful one, with a short turnaround time, and I am extremely happy and satisfied with the service I have received. 

    Y Sarabi, March 2020

  • Jacqueline is so knowledgeable about her subject, it is very reassuring as a client, that the person dealing with you during the most stressful and anxious times has so much expertise at her fingertips. I have absolutely no hesitation recommending Jacqueline to anyone needing an immigration expert.

    J Gurung, February 2021