Resolving pension related disputes is an area in which we have particular expertise, having acted on the successful side of the first Scottish court cases concerning the validity of pension scheme amendments related to the equalisation of the scheme normal retirement date. The decisions in those cases changed the legal landscape in Scotland in this area, developing the law and altering practice in a way that has been beneficial to Trustees, Companies and Scheme Administrators alike.
We work very closely with our Pensions team, providing clients with seamless advice in relation to pension matters, contentious and non-contentious.
Barbara Bolton is the Scottish representative on the Litigation Committee of the UK Association of Pension Lawyers.
We have acted in relation to a range of disputes concerning pension schemes, including:
- rectification applications to remedy errors in scheme documents;
- member complaints and claims;
- Pension Ombudsman complaints;
- applications for directions on the proper running of schemes;
- professional negligence claims against professional advisors, actuaries, administrators and solicitors; and
- defending claims of professional negligence on behalf of actuaries and administrators.